Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy July Fourth and Such

Got some photos to share of the progress of the backyard garden. I've been planning this garden since last winter when it was too burr to work outside, now that it is summer it is almost too hot to complete, lol. The idea was to build a natural rock raised garden bed in the area of the property where some of our pine trees collapsed during a storm. It gets the perfect amount of sun and shade that flowers love here, and privacy from the nearby road.

Here we have the wall with bender board in place around the exterior walls:


After we finished hammering and screwing in the boards, I bent a steel wire frame into the spaces to reinforce the strength of the cement we later poured in.
My lovely nephew and Neal, a family friend shoveling in the concrete. My under developed arm muscles made doing that exceedingly difficult so I contributed by smoothing out the concrete when they were done.

The completed concrete was then drawn on for fun and to ensure the next layer sticks.
The poem that I wrote on my section was from "Myosotis", from my favorite poet, Patrick Woodroff:

Were flower beds the sea, then Neptune should I be, the laird of every leaf and cherished bud. Forget-Me-Nots, forgotten not, I'd scoop them by the flower pot, like brimming cups of azure from the flood!
Progress!

This is it as it is now.

 
We still have two more layers of rock to add to the top of the garden wall, and the soil to amend. But overall we have made some good progress. I'll keep updating as it goes along!

No comments:

Post a Comment